Saturday, June 11, 2016

Verbum Dei ~ The Word of God


"Suffering often seems to catch us by surprise. One day we are healthy, comfortable, and happy. The next we find ourselves ill or injured, struggling, and distraught.

The pain that invades our lives may come from our own suffering or that of a loved one. But no matter the source, we didn’t see it coming. All too often, our perplexity prompts us to suspect God of wrongdoing." 
R.C. Sproul  Surprised by Suffering:


 

During times of profound sorrow, physical pain, and emotional suffering, I plead to the Lord for His comfort, and to give me strength to endure. 

It is my nature to question and analyze.  I admit to being angry at the Lord at the time of my son's death, and asking Him to explain to me why He allowed this inexplicable tragedy in my life.  The Lord reminded me of His own suffering on the Cross, and that we are actually expected to suffer in our lives.  That really perplexed me, and I wondered if the Lord really understood my sorrow. 

What was His purpose in taking away someone I cherished and deeply loved?  What are His plans for my life, to continually suffer and grieve? I actually became defiant in my prayers to Him, but always He led me back to verbum Dei, the Word of God.  "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."  Jeremiah 29:11

Since my son's death, through daily prayer and reading of the Scriptures, the Lord continues to give me peace, and equips me to endure the suffering.

I pray daily that what I do and say and think reflects....“...a life that is open before God. It is a life in which all that is done is done as unto the Lord. It is a life lived by principle, not expediency; by humility before God, not defiance. It is a life lived under the tutelage of a conscience that is held captive by the Word of God.” ~  Dr. R.C. Sproul


2 comments: