Monday, February 22, 2016

"Consider the Lilies of the Field..."

Matthew 6:27-33

Many years ago on a beautiful Sunday morning, I was walking and praying. 

Every day I would ask the Lord to show me something that would make me a person of enduring faith. 

I always thanked the Lord for what He provided, but I was very distraught by what seemed to be overwhelming difficulties in my life.

Was the Lord listening to my prayers, or was I not listening to Him?

It was that Sunday I learned at times His response to our questions are all around us in the beauty of His creation.  
 
As I continued my walk, I noticed the dirt road was edged with graceful lilies, their orange faces stretching toward the sun. They seed themselves each year, and grow wild in the fields. 

It was then I remembered "lilies of the field."
  
The Lord reminded me that anxiety for material needs is in vain. My preoccupation with physical existence should not be my focus. 
 
He tells us to look at the lilies which spring up in the fields! indeed, when in bloom, they are adorned with more splendor than was the great King in his glory. God has fashioned for these lilies of the field more beauty than have industries of men and occupations of women. While "the lilies neither labor nor spin", why do you trouble yourselves worrying?  "For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things." 

Our  time on earth, the measure of our lives, is not in our hands, nor within our power to add to it; therefore, we should leave the concern of our physical lives to Him.

The goodness and mercy of our righteous God is naturally greater than our minds and hearts comprehend.  Though at times we do not understand His ways, we have assurance that it is He who takes our measure of time here on earth, and in Him we place our treasure in Heaven for eternity.  Matthew 6:19-21
  

No comments:

Post a Comment