Thursday, May 4, 2017

"Consider the Lilies of the Field..."


It was many years ago on a beautiful Sunday morning, I was walking and praying. Every day I would ask the Lord to show me something that would make me a person of enduring faith. I always thanked the Lord for what He provided, but I was very disheartened, distraught, with what seemed to be overwhelming difficulties in my life.  

He would not answer my prayers. I did not realize it then, but I do now. Sometimes He makes us wait to give us time. When we least expect it, the answer is in something He created for us to meditate on. When we truly come to understand God’s nature, we dig deeper and the answers are there in His Word. 

Lilies of the Fields
That day, on the way to the park, all along the narrow street, the curbs were edged with graceful lilies, their orange faces stretched toward the sun. They seed themselves each year, and grow wild into the fields. 

It was then I remembered  "lilies of the field".

The Lord reminded me that my anxiety for material goods such as food and clothing is in vain. My preoccupation with physical existence should not be my focus. The time we have to live on earth until we take our last breath, the measure of our lives is not in our hands, nor within our power to add to it; therefore, we should leave the concern of our physical lives to Him.


He tells us: Look at the lilies which spring up in the fields! indeed, when in bloom, they are adorned with more splendor than was the great King in his glory. God has fashioned for these lilies of the field more beauty than have industries of men and occupations of women. While "the lilies neither labor nor spin", why do you trouble yourselves worrying?  "For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things." 

I continued to recall: You are able to live in opulence and in scarcity, the understanding of true good, and of the true righteousness of God. You have in God a Father, naturally greater than your heart. Even if you do not understand Him, know that He is in Heaven and that it is there He takes your measure and places your treasures. Reserve above everything else a place for the Name of your Father, a desire that His Will be done.

Matthew 6:27-33



No comments:

Post a Comment