THIS LIGHT MOMENTARY AFFLICTION

When John calls, it's anyone's guess whose voice he'll deliver, Forrest Gump, Man of La Mancha, one of the Taxi characters, or the Godfather. Within minutes, I'm laughing so hard I'm in tears. He can sustain those personae for quite a while, especially the Godfather, which is my favorite, because he always asks for the Northern Italy Girl, and from there, I'm all in.

Three years and four months passed since I last saw John, my best friend and brother in Christ.

So yesterday, while riding the Middleboro commuter train, I wondered if I was doing the right thing by a surprise visit. I truly didn't know what (or who) to expect, literally. From the station, I took a cab to the long term care facility. As the receptionist dialed his room number, I asked her to please hang up because I really wanted to surprise him.  The expression on her face made me want to call a cab back to the station. 

Bad idea, I thought, while walking the corridor, checking for his room number. I quickly passed by the dining hall and then backed up to the door. Was that John? No, couldn't be. He looks...he looks exactly the same.  

I approached one of the aides. "Who is that gentleman in the electric wheelchair, way over there, at the corner table with three men..." 

Praise God. He's laughing! 

Leaning behind him, over his shoulder, I said, "Excuse me, sir, I'm looking for the Godfather." 

"Have a seat. What can I do for you?" Perfect Brando.

"I'm the Northern Italy Girl." 


A half hour later, he led us to his private room, maneuvering his wheelchair easily around corridor clutter and people.  To my relief there was nothing attached to the walls for oxygen. His room was spacious enough to accommodate the wheelchair, a visitor chair, large screen TV, bureau, and nightstand where reading glasses rested beside his bibles, conveniently within reach of his bed.  

So let's get to the real heart of the visit. I wanted to see how his ALS had progressed. He was totally paralyzed now from the waist down.  

He cheerfully showed me how he could recline flat in his wheelchair to avoid circulation problems. For a moment, I thought the chair would capsize, but it's designed more like a moon rover than a wheelchair. 

I had to ask. "John, how do you cope with this? We know the ending. It's been almost four years since the diagnosis, and..." 

"Paul said he considered his present sufferings not worthy to compare with eternity's glory." His entire face smiled. 

"I am not suffering, Angelina. This is but a light and momentary affliction."  

June 23, 2019
John, my brother in Christ and best friend


Angelina and John
Northern Italy Girl with The Godfather


Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a group of rare neurological diseases that mainly involve the nerve cells (neurons) responsible for controlling voluntary muscle movement. The disease is progressive. Currently, there is no cure for ALS and no effective treatment to halt, or reverse, the progression of the disease.
In ALS, both the upper motor neurons and the lower motor neurons degenerate or die, and stop sending messages to the muscles. Unable to function, the muscles gradually weaken, start to twitch (called fasciculations), and waste away (atrophy). Eventually, the brain loses its ability to initiate and control voluntary movements.
Early symptoms of ALS usually include muscle weakness or stiffness. Gradually all muscles under voluntary control are affected, and individuals lose their strength and the ability to speak, eat, move, and even breathe.
Most people with ALS die from respiratory failure, usually within 3 to 5 years from when the symptoms first appear.